Apprenticeship, Trades and Occupations
Apprenticeship, Trade and Occupation Certification
Apprenticeship is a combination of on-the-job and technical training. It is an agreement between the employee, the employer and the Government of Nunavut where the employee agrees to work for the employer in exchange for intensive supervised, on-the-job work experience and technical training. Trade qualification occurs when a person with years of experience in a designated trade would like to challenge the final examination in order to receive a Certificate of Qualification.
Learn what trade opportunities are being offered in Nunavut here.
Who Can Participate?
Individuals interested in apprenticeship or in obtaining trade qualification and employers interested in training student apprentices may participate in this program.
Eligibility Criteria (Applicant | Apprentice):
Applicants | Apprentices must:
- Live in Nunavut
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have the ability to be supervised by a journeyman or a skilled trades worker
- Pass a trade entrance exam
Eligibility Criteria (Employer):
Eligibility Criteria (Trade Qualification):
- Submit a current resume, including list of projects/activities
- Submit a letter from current employer stating that work performed is at a Journeyman level (company must be active in the trade in question)
- Meet required hours outlined in trade description and guidelines
- Submit at least one letter from Journeyman in applied trade indicating that applicant is working at a journeyman level
- Submit verification of trade experience forms (forms should indicate adequate work experience in applicable trade during the past 10 years or possess pre-determined number of work experience hours)
- Submit copies of applicable trade/education certificates that have been previously obtained.
For More Information:
(including Trade Entrance Examinations, Level Examinations and Interprovincial (Red Seal) Examinations, or to obtain an Apprenticeship and Trade Qualification application)
Apprenticeship, Trades and Certification
Department of Education
PO Box 1000, Station 910
Apprenticeship and Occupational Supervisor: Zsolt Munkacsy
Phone: (867) 975-5658
Fax: (867) 975-5605
Or contact your Department of Education regional office: